a reading list: the third edition

9 Nov

1.  The Anne of Green Gables series by L. M. Montgomery, books 1-5.    I never read these as a little girl.  I actually didn’t even really know the story until the big snow storm of my last year of college when my roommates and I watched them snuggled on the Lighthouse couch.  For my last book club before we moved from Charlottesville, the ladies decided to revisit a classic story from childhood.  We also had kid food for that book club.  Go head and try it with your book club – great fun was had by all.  Late this summer, my 27 year old self was reading Anne of Green Gables for the first time and LOVING it.  I was charmed by the story and the flowing words.  I found myself wanting to be transported back in time to be able to relive my childhood in my very own Green Gables world with strolls down Lover’s Lane and picnics beside the Lake of Shining Waters.  Anne of Avonlea naturally followed next.

‘After all,’ Anne had said to Marilla once, ‘I believe the nicest and sweetest of days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string.’  – Anne of Avonlea p. 160

As summer turned into fall, I just kept moving through the series.   I read Anne of the Island.  Anne and Gilbert had still not fallen in love so I opened Anne of Windy Poplars.  I wanted to see what their life was like in their cozy little cottage in Anne’s House of Dreams.  I am not sure I have had a favorite of them so far.  They are just all delightful in their own way.  I stumbled upon the image below, and I think it sums up Anne’s life philosophy perfectly.

{source}

2. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley – The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is a simple mystery set in England in the 1950s.  The heroine is an 11 year old girl who stumbles upon, well thrusts herself really, into the solving of a crime committed at her family estate, Buckshaw.   This was a good book to have on the couch to read a little here and a little there (while I was nursing Eva) without a bunch of yuckiness tangled into the story as there so often is in modern day mysteries.  Some of the humor was very British, and thus went right over my head.  Overall, a decent read once the story was set up.

What have you been reading?  I always love a good recommendation, please.

This post is linked up at Life As Mom Booking- It.

About these ads

9 Responses to “a reading list: the third edition”

1. Carrie November 9, 2010 at 9:07 pm #

Oh the Anne books – I LOVE them! The first books I read by myself were the Little House books (in Kindergarten and part of 1st grade), but by the end of 1st grade I was reading “Anne of Green Gables” – and then the whole series in 2nd grade. I’ve read them many times since that first reading and I think I might love them more each time I read them! I’m so glad you have discovered them and love them! :-)

2. Angela November 10, 2010 at 5:29 pm #

Too fun that I found you through lifeasmom. I clicked on your’s first and found that you’re reading Anne of Green Gables! We will be starting that in January with my 11year old DD! I can’t wait as I’ve never read them myself! I love the beautiful pics on your blog! And I love everything peppermint so totally love the dress you made! Very yummy indead!

3. xo.sorcha.ox November 15, 2010 at 1:00 am #

I absolutely loved ‘Anne of Green Gables’ when I finally got around to reading it too. Such a wonderful story! I wish I’d read it sooner. I now have the second book, ‘Anne of Avonlea’, on my bookshelf waiting to be read. I will get to it soon. ;)
    ~S.

4. Krishana November 26, 2010 at 4:16 pm #

Anne of Green Gables is my favorite childhood book! And to this day, I cannot help but add any book by L. M. Montgomery to my collection. She was such a poignant writer. Her descriptions wash over me with such vividness. Her short story collections are quite enjoyable to read as well.

Lately, I have been enjoying the Mitford series by Jan Karon. It chronicles life in a small southern for the father of a local church. They are a charming read that I highly recommend.

Glad to have stumbled across your blog today.

5. Beth Stone February 11, 2011 at 7:00 pm #

Love the Anne books…. and the movies too. :o) They remind me of my childhood. Your other selection sounds interesting too – I love mysteries and British humor. Thanks for sharing!

6. Carrie February 12, 2011 at 9:09 am #

“Anne” has to be one of my favorite sets of books. I started reading Anne of Green Gables when I was in the 1st grade – I was so excited to be able to read on my own and those books have been favorites ever since. I’m so glad you discovered them! Happy Reading!

7. Sandra February 14, 2011 at 9:08 pm #

I loved watching the Anne of Green Gables movies! A friend let me borrow them, and I had no idea what my family had been missing. I liked all the videos except the last one in the series where Ann is older. I’ve never read the books, but hopefully, someday.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. a reading list, the fourth « - February 11, 2011

[...] of Ingleside by L.M.Montgomery.  I continued my reading of the Anne of Green Gables series with the sixth book in the series.  I loved the first five in the series, but I suppose all good [...]

2. {yarn along} « - October 12, 2011

[...] the library and I picked up A Red Herring Without Mustard   I have read one of Alan Bradley books before, so I figured it was worth a shot.   I haven’t been able to find a book that has peaked my [...]